Shrimp is not exactly a frugal food. But! Remember: when you’re cooking for yourself instead of going to a restaurant, you can splurge a little bit on ingredients and still come out ahead. This is one of my favorite recipes – I kind of just made it up when I was learning to cook for myself and still make it regularly. Some have told me I could have been a chef; choosing a career is tricky. My boyfriend named this dish Spicy Shrimp, but maybe it should really be called Spicy Pasta with Shrimp 🙂
– One pound penne pasta
– One jar of your favorite marinara (I like Trader Joe’s Organic Marinara)
– One bag of pre-cooked, frozen shrimp, thawed
– 2-3 cloves garlic
– One tablespoon olive oil
– Two tablespoons of crushed red pepper, or more or less to taste
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 5 oz. of your favorite red wine
– One tablespoon fresh parsley (optional)
1. Pour wine into glass. Take generous sip. This step is optional, but recommended.
2.Fill a large pot with water and set it to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. Mince the garlic and saute in the olive oil over medium heat. Be careful – garlic burns fast! When garlic is fragrant, add shrimp and heat for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp begin to curl.
4. Return pasta to large pot. Add shrimp and garlic. Add sauce and spices. Heat on medium-high, stirring constantly, until heated through.
5. Garnish with parsley and serve with bread, salad, and more wine!
This recipe serves 4-6 people, depending on how hungry your crowd is!